Beginning the Challenge
1. Team members have a clear understanding of the Challenge.
2. Team members know the tournament awards and the criteria they are based on.
3. The Challenge is broken down into tasks that small groups can work on.
4. Team members are assigned/volunteer for these various aspects of the Challenge.
5. Team members create a list of weekly goals so that a clear plan exists to get the team to the competition.
6. Coaches need to make arrangements to find/build a practice table if they haven't already done so.
|Get a copy of this year's challenge from the FIRST LEGO League website.|
|Miscellaneous readings (included in Documents below). You may recognize much of this reading from the rough draft of the coaches manual.|
|Tournament Award Guidelines (included in Documents below).|
Preparation Time : 1 hour
Large writing area that everyone can see.
Contained in this document is detailed instructions on how to conduct the lesson.
The following is a PDF document
Once you complete the lesson goals outlined above, you can let the various smaller groups start brainstorming to accomplish their tasks. You may need multiple adults to help lead each of the smaller groups, however make sure that anyone who helps understands the FLL philosophy and the rules of brainstorming.
Included in this lesson is a list of the tournament awards with criteria guidelines and hints for the kids to meet those criteria. Make sure everyone in the team understands the criteria of the awards.
Copyright INSciTE. This page last modified 09/02/02 12:40 PM .
Site maintained by Dennice Gayme. Email comments or suggestions to email@example.com.